Wednesday 21 November 2012

Words with... Dominique Goodall


Welcome to Dominique Goodall, the wolf-crazy author of Echoes of Winter and Torn
























What books have you written so far?

I’ve only written Echoes of Winter and Torn – two completely unrelated projects. Echoes of Winter features a world in the future, as does Torn, but the similarities end there. Torn is a tale of Norse mythology and hell hounds combined; Echoes of Winter is a story of wolves in a world where humanity is failing/has failed.

What works in progress do you have?

Works in progress? Hmm…there’s Wolfsong (working title), Spring Surrender, Asunder and Through His Eyes. That’s it for now, but I’m working exclusively on Wolfsong for the time being.

Why do you write?

I write as an escape into the worlds my mind creates. I wouldn’t be a writer unless I had a strong sense of imagination and enough staying power to stick it out. I use writing as an escape, where the worlds I create are ideal to me and the characters go through problems I decide they should.

Which character from your books do you like most / are most like?

This will always be WaterSinger/Singer. She has appeared in a lot of stories (and not just my own ­ she’s a well-known character in some places!), and she is the ‘me’ I’d love to be if I happened to be a wolf one day. Sassy, bitchy at times, but willing to die for her friends – all things my friends have said about me or even seen.

Fave things: animal? food? drink? film? colour? band? song? place? item of clothing?

Animal would be the wolf.
Food is macaroni cheese!
Drink is water or Dr Pepper.

Would you say that your dreams have come true or are you still working on them?

My first dream is coming true, so I’m working on the next one. I’m not ashamed to admit that I work on one dream at a time – dreams are there to be fulfilled!

Which three authors would you like to take to the pub?

David Clements-Davies, William Horwood and Maggie Stiefvater – all people who also write about wolves!

How do you find the marketing experience?

Fun! I’ve included fans in everything I’ve done, asked them to name characters, given loads of teasers and had fun. Thinking up interesting new ways to promote things always helps, too!

What advice would you give other writers just starting out?

Always fight on. When you doubt yourself, ask someone to poke you. It has never been easier to become an author than now, though you need a sound idea. Editing is EVERYTHING; cover image is almost as important. Remember, the picture sells the book, the writing keeps you interested. Poorly edited books make people unhappy.

Do you have a blog? What do you blog about?

I blog about anything I want to. I have a good idea about what I want to say… so I say it. I used my blog to decide a book cover. I revealed my epically amazing trailer on the blog… it’s there for everything!

Complete one of these stories in 100 words or less…

2. In the deep and darkest reaches of the dank forest there lay a tiny little den, completely hidden from view. In that den lived a little vixen and her cubs, Brash and Banner. Both were male, which meant that as soon as the season changed, they would have to leave her. This saddened her, even as it made her proud. Both were handsome cubs who lacked just one thing – a territory to call their own. Brash left first, Banner following soon after his brother, but in a separate direction. She was alone again, until her next litter of cubs.

What question do you wish I’d asked and, of course, what is the answer?

Dominique Goodall is the author of the soon-to-be released Echoes of Winter, book one in the Seasons of the Wolf series and a self-confessed wolf addict. She has been published in two anthologies by Crushing Hearts and Black Butterfly Publishing, and is currently working on getting herself better known by sending in manuscripts to as many different anthologies as she possibly can. As much as she loves to admit it, she never will be able to count her wolf stuff – there’s nothing left for her to be truly able to collect without her own home.

Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting :)