Monday 19 January 2015

A Poem a Day 2015 (19): Nightmare

Okay, I'm just off to bed and I think of this one. Too much cheese, perhaps?


Nightmare

Red blood, congealing
drips
seared to the bone
white
tearing the flesh
in front
of me
cold breath
travels the spine
sweeps around my
neckline
I sprint
yet I’m standing
so still
only to float
treading the air
higher
walking on nothing
barefoot slow
then plunging
down, down
past jagged rock
cobwebs flying
spiders encircling
a living net
touching my
face
crawling over
finding my mouth
inside
I cough, spitting out
as I fall
arms sweeping
forever
is only a minute
I land
sudden
in the dark pitch
heart racing
blood pounding
in the distance
something breathes
something comes
I move
travelling fast
footsteps behind me
moving quickly
haggard breathing
it is not
mine
feeling the rock
so cold and rough
my fingers trail
searching it
everywhere for a way
out
but where?
it creeping closer
I can hear it
raw gasps
a cold chill enwraps
my body
I run
ahead the rockface
closes as if
knowing
I search all over
for a way out
my hands feeling
flickering
in the dark
but nothing
my exit blocked
behind me I hear it
it’s so near
rasping breaths
I’m too scared to
turn
but it’s here
so close
I can feel it
breathing down my
neck
my hands clammy
locked together
my eyes closed
in the dark
not wanting to
see
the thing now
touching me


copyright Vickie Johnstone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting :)