Saturday 7 February 2015

A Poem a Day 2015 (29): Forgive me #2minutesgo

Another one written for writer JD Mader's 2-minute Friday challenge on his website, Unemployed Imagination http://www.jdmader.com/2015/02/2-minutes-go.html. This one took longer than 2mins, probably 10. Cheers.


Forgive me

If I count the hours
Will the light come quicker
Squeezing the endless dark
Until it has no breathing space?
I need more than a flicker
To gently remind myself 
The knowing is meaningful

Is this a jail sentence
This whispering in my ear?
Criticism upon witticism
So insincere and damning
Or solely the creation of my fear
I need this light, only a little
I need this morning to arrive

If I ignore the hours
Will the dawn come not at all
Offering me a final escape
From myself, the only one to blame
For my rise and my foolhardy fall
I pause, awaiting the hour to bring forth
The hangman dressed in black 

If you forgive me all these things
Will it render me sane?
Or will the tide drift further
Tugging me to its farthest reach
Away, where agony is my true bane
These minutes grate on my soul
Tearing the skin from my bones

copyright Vickie Johnstone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting :)