Thursday 4 June 2015

Flash fiction 11: Time

Another one written for JD Mader's 2minute writing challenge, #2minutesgo, which you can join in with on his blog, Unemployed Imagination, every Friday. Cheers :)



Time

I can peel it back. Time, my old adversary. He who stagnates so solitary in the corners, idly studying me from beyond his web. The dusty, silken lengths hang the things in life that mattered. The items we lost and won, the ones we treasured so dearly until they lost their shine, outlasting their worth or meaning. Now and then it was boredom cutting them lose. I slink from the memory.

He strays beneath the flickers of the lamp. Without seeing, I feel him, ever near, encroaching on the distance between us. Mindless. Cruel even. I wonder how long he will remain still. Can he be still?

Something darts, my eye follows and the light disperses. I follow yet the thread spins with me, hooking on to my arms, all my limbs, tugging me back from my curious self. Laughter. It is he. I stagger, caught in the net, plagued by my belongings and the things I let slide; the people and ties I discarded on the endless journey to here.

copyright Vickie Johnstone, May 22 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting :)