Friday 26 June 2015

Flash fiction 12: Cold comfort

Well, it's Friday, so it's time to write with JD Mader over at his website, Unemployed Imagination - www.jdmader.com/2015/06/2-minutes-go. The idea is you write for 2 minutes - some people write longer - and you just go for it, without looking back and editing. Head over to play or just read. This one took me about 4 minutes cos I revised it. Have a great weekend! :) We actually have summer sunshine here in the UK!


Cold comfort

She hasn’t called since Christmas, but I know the game. I’ve played it far too often over the years and this board bends under the negative energy. I can tear the pieces off the walls, ripping the coloured squares into nothing. A room bereft of this. I need circles – endless curves of possibility.

My skin prickles. This shower of emotion can stagnate in the corners, creeping beyond. I will sit here and read this book, my mind never wandering to the phone, wondering where she is or what she’s doing.

I can hold out longer. I have done before. I think the last record was a year. It’s a control thing, but I know her gameplay, know it by heart.

Like a chess master, she’ll keep her silence until the loss grows like a seeping wound and I’m beaten into submission. Usually the guilt will sway my hand. But these days I’ve come to terms with guilt and looked it in the eye, and we came to an agreement. It no longer kills me.


copyright Vickie Johnstone, June 26, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting :)